From Mediterranean classics to Asian-inspired creations this delectable lineup of Shish Kebab side dishes, are not just accompaniments but integral parts of a memorable Shish Kebab experience.
Creating the Perfect Shish Kebab Experience
When it comes to savoring the delights of Shish Kebabs or Seekh Kababs, it's not just about the succulent skewers of marinated meats and veggies. It's also about the harmonious ensemble of side dishes that elevate your culinary experience. While the kebabs are the star, it is the side dishes that truly elevate the meal.
From the timeless allure of Pita Bread to the zesty freshness of Tabbouleh Salad, and the exotic charm of Indian Naan, our list of classic kabob sides will tantalize your taste buds and transport you to the heart of diverse culinary traditions. Whether you're grilling up chicken, beef, lamb, fish or vegetables on your kebab skewers, these sides are the perfect companions, each bringing its unique personality to the table.
With its giant pocket, pita is the ultimate side dish for Shish Kebabs. Stuff the pocket with shish kebab, salad, then drizzle with your favorite creamy dressing for an EPIC sandwich!
The refreshing blend of chopped parsley, tomatoes, cucumber and bulgur in a light citrusy dressing is a perfect companion to grilled shish kebabs. One of the best side dishes for shish kebabs.
Soft, bubbly and chewy, naan bread is commonly paired with shish kebabs in India. Serve with pickled onions and raita for a delicious street-food sandwich!
Buttery and garlicky with a hint of umami, this recipe takes simple stir fried veggies like red peppers and zucchini to a new level. The secret is the special Benihana garlic-butter made with roasted garlic, whipped butter and soy sauce.
Chicken Fried Rice
Unbelievably juicy strips of chicken in a deeply flavored fried rice that's a little salty, spicy with pops of sweet. Dotted with green peppers and carrots this dish is perfect when you want something quick, but aren't willing to compromise on taste.
My daughter often says, "there's potato salad and then there's potato salad..." This time-tested classic is creamy with pops of whole grain mustard and a hint of vinegar that pairs perfectly with shish kebabs.
Upgrade your potato game with spicy Bombay Aloo. Soaked with deep, fragrant, warm spices these potatoes are roasted to crisp and crackly perfection.
Sumac marinated red onions are a deliciously tart and lemony Middle Eastern condiment. A classic side dish for grilled meats, the fresh lemon juice in this simple salad adds acidity and flavor to grilled meats.
Labneh, holds a cherished place in the heart of Middle Eastern cuisine. This creamy, tangy, heavenly soft cheese is delicious when served with shish kebab.
This Greek tzatziki is the perfect tangy sauce to drizzle over shish kabobs. Made with the simplest and freshest ingredients, its rich, garlicky and lemony - perfect with kabobs!
Sicilian Brown Rice Salad
This brown rice salad is loaded with fresh, unexpected Mediterranean flavors. Asparagus, grape tomatoes, mandarin origins, pine nuts, chickpeas and brown rice are tossed with a refreshing lemon vinaigrette dressing.
Marinated Heirloom Tomatoes
Garden fresh tomatoes sit in a bright, bold marinade of olive oil, vinegar, fresh garlic, and oregano to create a side that looks beautiful and tastes even better!
Lemon Herb Green Tahini Sauce
This lemon and herb green tahini sauce is perfect for adding some zip and nutty flavor to your meal! It's great as a side, dip, sauce, or a dressing.
Crunchy Greek Salad
Cool and crisp, this flavorful Greek Cucumber Tomato Salad pairs really well with grilled meats. Think super fresh ingredients like toasted walnuts and crisp cucumbers tossed with juicy tomatoes and pillowy mozzarella balls.
Crispy Fried Polenta Cakes
Crispy fried polenta cakes are a savory dish made from cooked polenta, fried until crispy on the outside and soft and creamy on the inside.
This fresh salad is popular in Lebanon and consists of crunchy vegetables and crisped-up pita bread, with a bright sumac dressing that really brings it together.
Caprese Quinoa Salad
This tasty Caprese Salad combines fresh cherry tomatoes, mozzarella balls, spinach, and basil with fluffy quinoa and a speedy balsamic dressing!
Stuffed Grape Leaves
These Turkish stuffed grape leaves have a relatively simple vegetarian filling of mainly rice, herbs and currants but they are packed with bright, fresh flavor and are wonderfully comforting.
Baba Ganoush has a distinct flavor that can be described as smoky, creamy, and tangy. The primary flavor comes from the roasted grilled eggplant, tahini, garlic and lemon juice
Thai Pasta Salad
Thai Pasta Salad is the perfect side dish for grilled meats. It’s quick, refreshing, and full of fresh veggies!
Maple Roasted Carrots
The combination of roasted carrots with a maple syrup glaze brings a whole new level of sweet caramelization to carrots. A great flavor counterpoint for spicy shish kebabs!
Other Great Side Dish Ideas
While our list of Shish Kebab side dishes includes many of my favorites, there are still so many more. Here are some additional side dish ideas that didn't make the list but are certainly worthy contenders.
- Caesar Salad: A classic Caesar salad with its crisp romaine lettuce, savory croutons, and creamy dressing provides a delightful contrast to the bold flavors of Shish Kebabs.
- Watermelon Salad: For a refreshing and hydrating side, consider a watermelon salad with feta cheese and mint. Its sweet and salty flavors are a perfect complement to grilled delights.
- Barley Salad: Nutty barley grains mixed with colorful vegetables and a tangy vinaigrette pairs wonderfully with grilled meats and vegatables.
- Fruit Salad: A medley of fresh, seasonal fruits adds a burst of natural sweetness, balancing the richness of shish kebabs.
- Couscous Salad: Light and fluffy couscous tossed with Mediterranean-inspired ingredients like tomatoes, cucumbers, and herbs is a quick and easy side that pairs beautifully with Shish Kebabs.
- German Potato Salad: Warm German potato salad, dressed with a tangy bacon and vinegar dressing, brings a hearty and comforting touch to your kebab feast.
- Red Cabbage Salad: A vibrant red cabbage slaw with a zesty dressing offers a crunchy and colorful side dish that balances out the richness of the grilled meats.
Breads, Rice & Potatoes:
- Garlic Bread: Buttery and garlicky, a slice of garlic bread is always a crowd-pleaser and a perfect companion to kebabs.
- Sweet Potatoes: Roasted or mashed sweet potatoes with a hint of cinnamon and brown sugar add a touch of sweetness and warmth to your plate.
- Coconut Rice: Fragrant coconut rice, infused with coconut milk and aromatic spices, is a delectable side dish that pairs beautifully with kebabs.
- Greek Lemon Rice: A lemon-infused rice pilaf with fresh herbs brings a bright and tangy note to your meal.
- French Fries: Crispy, golden French fries are a beloved classic that needs no introduction, and they make a guaranteed satisfying side for Shish Kebabs.
- Mexican Street Corn: Grilled corn on the cob slathered with mayo, cheese, chili powder, and lime juice is a flavorful and slightly spicy dish that adds further layers of Mexican flavors to your kebab feast.
The term "shish kebab" has many variations and interpretations, each offering a unique twist to this beloved culinary concept. The spelling of the words vary, for example "shish" can be written as "sheekh" and "seekh" and "kabob" can be written as "kebab." Sometimes a Seekh kabab will be referred to as Tikka meaning that the meat was grilled but not add the detail that it happened to be grilled on a skewer.