Perfect for Game Day, this bubbling hot, cheesy, creamy Chicken Dip Recipe is ridiculously addictive. Serve with chips and veggies and icy cold beer for an unforgettable appetizer at your next party!
What is Chicken Dip?
This chicken dip is an obscenely addictive dip which tastes very much like Buffalo Chicken Wings. Made with shredded chicken, cheese and hot cayenne pepper sauce, the mixture is baked until bubbling hot. Buffalo Chicken Dip is typically served with chips, crackers, celery and carrots. This is the best buffalo chicken dip recipe ever!
What is Chicken Dip made of?
A game day favorite, this Chicken Dip Recipe is made with a few simple ingredients: shredded chicken, cream cheese and cayenne pepper sauce. Other ingredients include a variety of cheese and sliced green onion for garnish. All ingredients should be easily available at your local grocery store.
- To keep it simple, I just use store bought rotisserie chicken for the shredded chicken. To poach your own chicken, simply drop one or more chicken breasts into a pan and cover with water. Add some salt, sliced garlic and ginger into the pot and bring it to a boil. Cook until the chicken is cooked through. Shred the chicken with a fork and you are ready to go! The boiled water can be used as chicken stock for cooking other foods. This recipe works with shredded canned chicken as well.
- Use a regular cream cheese for this recipe as it helps take off the edge from the hot pepper sauce. Prior to mixing, soften the cream cheese to room temperature - I usually take out the cream cheese from the fridge and let it sit on my counter for about a half hour.. The softer texture helps the cream cheese to easily mix with the rest of the ingredients. I like using Philadelphia Cream Cheese as it works very well in this recipe. For a healthier version you could use low-fat cream cheese and low-fat cheese.
- I love using Frank's Original Hot Pepper Sauce because I also use it to make Buffalo Wings. However, if you don't happen to have any on hand - any cayenne pepper sauce will do, just taste as you add, since some sauces can be spicier than others. More hot sauce will increase the heat, but be careful as too much can make the dip too spicy.
- I use a combination of feta, cheddar and blue cheese crumbles to add more dimension to the creamy, cheesy texture, Feel free to substitute you favorite cheeses - gouda for example would also work very well in this recipe. If you do not like blue cheese, feel free to omit.
- I use sliced green onion or scallion as a garnish. It adds a little bit of a peppery, mild onion taste.
How to make Buffalo Chicken Dip from scratch
This is literally a mix and dump recipe - here are steps:
Step One: Preheat oven to 350°F
Step Two: Mix the shredded chicken, cream cheese, cayenne pepper sauce, blue cheese, cheddar cheese and feta cheese in a small baking dish. If you want to get brown, bubbly cheese on top, use a broiler safe dish and keep a little cheese to the side. Spread the mixture evenly with a knife or spatula, then sprinkle the cheese on top.
Step Three: Bake for 20 minutes. Mixture is done when hot and bubbly. Time in the oven will depend on the baking dish - a deep pan takes longer , a shallow pan takes less time. Remember all the ingredients are already pre-cooked - you are simply re-heating. If you like, place the dish right under the broiler and broil the top until brown and bubbly.
Step Four: Sprinkle with green onions for garnish.
The total time needed to make this recipe is only 30 minutes!
Can you cook Buffalo Chicken Dip in a crockpot?
To cook crockpot buffalo chicken dip, simply add the mixed ingredients into the slow cooker. Spread the mixture evenly with a knife or spatula. Sprinkle the top with some cheese and turn the crockpot on low for about 30 minutes or until the dip looks like it is done.
Is Buffalo Chicken Dip keto friendly?
The ingredients in the buffalo chicken dip are keto friendly as long as you don't eat with chips and crackers. Just dunk the cheesy dip with with keto friendly sides like celery, cucumber and bell peppers. This is easily one of the top appetizer recipes for keto!
Buffalo chicken dip is served with a variety of chips like corn chips, tortilla chips, crackers and baguette slices. Scoop shaped crackers work really well because they are built to load up with this delicious dip. Sliced veggies like bell peppers and carrot sticks offer guest a low carb option. I like serving celery sticks and ranch dip dressing on the side because they are traditionally also served with Buffalo Wings. This recipe would also go very well with Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Appetizers.
Easily available ingredients and quick preparation make this yummy dip a perfect appetizer to make for your next party. This creamy buffalo chicken dip recipe works really with Big Game and Super Bowl Parties.
Since this dish is very spicy, it begs for a cold sweet dessert after eating. I love having Shemai – Creamy Vermicelli in Sweet Rose Infused Cream as a dessert after eating this dish.
Leftover Buffalo Chicken Dip
Combined with a little mayonnaise and crisp iceberg or romaine lettuce, this Chicken Dip makes an absolutely epic sandwich! I love slathering it on crusty French roll with lots of crispy greens, carrots and cucumber. One word - YUM!
To reheat - just heat up in the microwave.
Freshly made Buffalo Chicken Dip should last about 3-5 days in the fridge depending on the freshness of the ingredients. Store in an air tight container in the fridge. Since the dip contains both meat and dairy don't keep it out for more than 2 hours.
If you want to keep the dip longer it is better to freeze it in an airtight container. When you want to reheat, just remove it from the freezer and thaw in the fridge overnight. Heat portions that you want to eat in the microwave or in the oven in an oven safe dish.
Finally, if you make this recipe
I'd love to hear how it went - please leave a comment and rate this recipe. Above all, I love hearing from all of you and will do my best to answer each and every comment!
Try these other delicious appetizers
EASY JALAPENO POPPER APPETIZERS - These ultra delicious Jalapeno Popper Appetizers disappear within moments of being served! Creamy, cheesy, wrapped with crispy chewy bacon, its A TRIPLE FLAVOR BOMB! Just make ahead and bake. Let the party begin!
STEAK – MEDIUM RARE RIBEYE - Cook steak like a boss – crispy and salty on the outside, buttery soft on the inside. The type of steak that makes you put your elbows on the table, take a deep breath, close your eyes and smile.
STEAMED MUSSELS IN GARLIC SAUCE - Garlicky steamed mussels with crusty garlic bread .. a super-easy, impressive dinner solution for the impromptu fancy dinner party host or exhausted gourmet who needs to put together a delicious, sophisticated meal in under 30 minutes.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup cayenne pepper sauce like Franks's Original Hot Pepper Sauce
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese freshly shredded
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbled, optional
- 1 green onion sliced, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Mix the shredded chicken, cream cheese, cayenne pepper sauce, blue cheese, cheddar cheese and feta cheese in a small baking dish.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes. A deep pan takes longer , a shallow pan takes less time. Mixture is done when hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with green onions for garnish.
- This recipe yields approximately 8 servings. The nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe nutrition calculator and is intended for informational purposes only and should be used as a general guideline. If the nutrition information is important to you, you should independently verify it using your preferred tool.