For a quick low carb lunch that maximizes all those colorful, heritage tomatoes that are only available during the summer, look no further than this Mediterranean style salad.
I often eat this cool salad as lunch on hot summer days because a large batch can be prepared in advance. Allowing the tomatoes and mozzarella to marinate in the herbs and sweet dressing helps intensify the flavor. A dash of lemon zest adds a refreshing twist to this very traditional recipe.
The great thing about this recipe is that it is hugely versatile. You can add your own twist to it by adding chopped avocado, thinly sliced red onion or different herbs. Sometimes I add some cajun pan-fried shrimp on top to turn it into a more substantial meal. As a tried and true crowd favorite, this is a great dish to serve at a party and goes really well with grilled meats and fish. For fastest assembly with the least clean up – you can make the whole salad directly in a bowl by purchasing bite sized ingredients like cherry sized grape tomatoes and mozzarella balls.
Tomato Mozarella Salad
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to taste
Tomato Mozzarella Salad
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 ounces mozzarella balls fresh
- ¼ cup sliced, fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- In a small mixing bowl whisk the ingredients for the balsamic vinaigrette and set aside.
- In a separate bowl add the cherry tomatoes, mozzarella balls and basil. Mix with the balsamic dressing. Taste and season for salt as needed.