This Chicken Karahi Recipe is hot, spicy and finger-licking good. Paired with homemade naan it's one of the tastiest comfort foods that you will ever eat!
Servings: 8 people
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken legs and thighs, lightly scored
- 2 Tablespoon ghee
- 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger minced
- 3 Campari tomatoes halved
- 2 jalapenos chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder optional, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground, optional
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger julienned
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro sliced
- 3 red serrano peppers sliced lengthwise into half or sliced
Mix the spice mix. Combine all the spice mix ingredients and set aside.
Fry the spices. Heat the ghee and vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet on medium high heat. Add the sliced onions and sauté until transparent about 2-3 minutes. Add the minced garlic and ginger and sauté until lightly toasted. Add the spice mix. Fry the spices until the oil floats to the top (bhuna). Add the tomatoes and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
Cook the chicken. Add the chicken and mix thoroughly with the spices. Lower the heat to medium low and cover. Cook for 35-40 minutes. Stir the chicken occasionally to ensure that the chicken cooks evenly. Remove the cover and allow the sauce to evaporate towards the end, if the sauce looks too watery. There should be about 2 cups of sauce once you are done. Add the serrano chili peppers and cook for another 5 minutes. Taste for salt.
This recipe yields approximately 8 servings. The nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe nutrition calculator and is intended for informational purposes only and should be used as a general guideline. If the nutrition information is important to you, you should independently verify it using your preferred tool.