Best Vietnamese Dipping Fish Sauce Recipe - (Nuoc Cham/Nuoc Mam Cham)
Sweet, sour, spicy, yet refreshingly light, this is the best Vietnamese Dipping Fish Sauce (Nuoc Cham) you'll ever have! It's so tasty, you'll want to sip it! It's my secret flavor bomb, that adds that perfect zing to almost any recipe!
Servings: 4 people
garlic press (optional)
citrus juicer (optional)
- 1/3 cup water divided, half hot, half cold
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp serrano or thai chili thinly sliced, red, green or mixed
- 1 tbsp carrot thinly sliced into matchsticks
- 1/2 tsp sambal olek optional
Mix the sugar and hot water (half the total water) in a bowl. Once dissolved add the remaining water.
Add the lime juice a little bit at a time, tasting as you go until it tastes like limeade.
Add the fish sauce. Mix and taste. Add more water, sugar or lime juice to suit your preference.
Add the garlic, serrano chili, carrots and sambal olek (optional), Serve immediately,
- Hot Honey Nuoc Cham - substitute the 2 tablespoons of sugar with 4 teaspoons of hot honey.
- Keto Nuoc Cham - substitute the 2 tablespoons of sugar with about 3 packets of your favorite sugar substitute.
- Recipe yields approximately 8 servings. The nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe nutrition calculator and is intended for informational purposes only and should be used as a general guideline. If the nutrition information is important to you, you should independently verify it using your preferred tool.