Pink salmon poached in a savory garlic-ginger infused tomato broth with creamy baby potatoes and peas. This is a great light summer dish if you are tired of salads and looking for something new.
If you like to work out and are looking for a savory dish that does not make you feel sluggish and tired, this is a great dish for you. It's also a great option for those who want to eat more fish and are looking for some variety. Pair with a peppery arugula salad for a light, protein packed meal. Eat it over rice for a more filling option.
To make this dish keto friendly, simply omit the potatoes and peas or substitute with the keto friendly vegetables of your choice.
I am always on the lookout for quick, healthy dishes that are easy to make for dinner. After a long day at work and evening classes, this is one of my favorite go-to recipes. It requires about 30 minutes with minimal prep.
I love this dish because the light broth is not heavy and does not interfere with the taste of the fish. Once all the flavors have had a chance to get infused with the broth, the fish is poached right in it for a few minutes and you are done.
Salmon Poached in Tomato Broth
- 1 boullion cube chicken or fish
- 5 cups water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes optional
- ½ onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon hot chilli powder optional, to taste
- 1 plum tomato diced
- 6 golden potatoes sliced into quarters or sixths depending on size
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 pound salmon cut into large 2 square inch squares
- ½ cup green peas
- Put 4 cups of water and the 2 bouillon cubes into a saucepan and heat. Once the bullion cubes have dissolved, turn off the heat and set aside.
- Heat oil to a medium sized saucepan on medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the minced ginger, garlic and hot chilli flakes and sautee. Once the garlic and ginger is a light golden, add the onion and saute until transparent.
- Add a cup of water to the pan. Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, hot chilli powder and chopped plum tomatoes and saute for about 2 minutes to release the flavor.
- Add the potatoes and saute in the spice mix for a few minutes. Add the boullion broth and cover. Simmer on medium heat until a fork poked through the potato pokes through - about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and the salmon. Simmer for about 3 minutes until the salmon is lightly cooked inside - do not overcook. The salmon will continue cooking for a few minutes after you turn off the heat. Add the peas. Serve immediately.